Welcome to my blog

It is quite an honor for me to have your visit in my blog. This blog is about antique bicycle, which i have collected during my visit to places in suburban areas. These bicycles were sold at a very cheap price to me by the vendors, who were actually not pure vendors. They were just a "hand over" people. They handed over theirs to me just to make sure that theirs will be for collection only. And not for sell nor thorn a part for cannibalism.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dames Gazelle Serie 1 dated 1905

Serial Number 23329,
bought in October 2010, the second hunting


The Background Story

This bicycle is my first old bicycle, as a gift from my husband. He already bought Wearwell, a British made. So, he promised me, if i visit him to the city, where he was relocated for work, then he will buy an old ladies bicycle in that city.

So, during the school holiday, i went to that city. This was our second old bicycle hunting. And at the second day, he took me to several places. At the last place, it was raining, and he picked for me the cheapest old bicycle there. Hem, i was sad at that time. I wish for the branded bicycle, in good condition. Due to the rain, i had no other choice, but to agree with him. He took me and that bicycle to the mechanic to repair the break and check the wheel.

At the mechanic, a young man came and asked how much is this bicycle. I answered him, that this is a cheap price. For me, it doesn't matter, weather it is branded or not. As long it is good for ride, that's o.k. for me. He stood on my bicycle for a while. I was confused, what things that he admired from my ugly old bicycle.

The next morning my husband awoke me, just to show that he found the Gazelle words marked on the frame. It is barely seen by bare eyes. I had to use small lamp to discover the marked Gazelle words. Since then, i searched on internet about any details of my old rusty gazelle. I am happy that I found you, my old rusty Gazelle.


Details


Written Words of Gazelle

At the frame under the steer, it is written Gazelle as its brand. The clear written words, which are smooth and so original. The brand that was crafted on the frame, just like at the picture, are difficult to be a faked one. The brand was crafted on the frame during its production at the factory in Netherlands. Based on the type of crafted brand at the frame, it will determined how old is a Gazelle bicycle.

Reference : https://picasaweb.google.com/asterducGazelleTypisch# 5548056944762101714

The early production of Gazelle, they didn't attach any emblem on it. It was only the words Gazelle, as looked at the attached picture. Starting on the 4th series, Gazelle finally attached their emblem on it.



Serial Number 23329

Based on http://www.sepedaonthel.com/rangka_sepeda.php, if you enter the brand "Gazelle" and the frame serial number 23329, then it shows that this bicycle was produced in 1905.

From the serial number and the written brand "Gazelle", it is known that this bicycle was the 2nd Generation of Gazelle, in which in 1905.During this period, Gazelle still imported some bicycle from Great Britain, which caused the serial number is on the left side of the saddle, and searching on the trade mark that can be used in the market. After the third series, finally they could have their own factory in Netherlands and created their emblem and assigned permanently their serial number on the right side of frame under the saddle.


Welded saddle bracket for sportive Gazelle




The joined bracket for the saddle on the frame is the mark for the sport type of Gazelle. It is welded during the production type.

Reference: https://picasaweb.google.com/asterduc/GazelleTypisch#5548057384359749410




Lepper branded Saddle

An old leather at this saddle and the type of it, quite describing that this saddle is old. The shape of this saddle is in accordance with saddle produced by Royal Enfield bicycles in 1900s.

Royal Enfield bicycle had issued six types of saddle. The smallest one for women are very similiar with the saddle on the left picture.




Fork at the side view



The forks for the early gazelle were simple forks, not far different from emblem case.

Reference: https://picasaweb.google.com/asterducGazelleTypisch# 5548056824794342434







Bracket for pedals

The bracket and the pedals were simple also.

Reference:
https://picasaweb.google.com/asterduc/GazelleTypisch#
5548056444651528354

No comments:

Post a Comment